The mission of the United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is to fulfill President Lincoln’s promise, “To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan.” They do this by serving and honoring the men and women who are America’s veterans.
The VA is responsible for many of our benefit programs and resources to include: disability compensation, pension, GI Bill educational programs, home loans, life insurance and vocational rehabilitation and employment. One of their more recent offerings, MyCareer@VA, is a program structured to assist you in building a career within the Department of Veterans Affairs. This site provides information, tools and resources to help you achieve career goals.
Last week, the HIMSS Veterans Career Services initiative held the June webinar focused on the MyCareer@VA program. We had the pleasure of hosting Josh Bartell, a consultant at Federal Management Partners, Inc. to provide information on this program. Josh works with the Department of Veterans Affairs Learning University, of which this program originated, providing human capital consulting, strategic communications, customer relations management, and training facilitation. He has served as a member of the MyCareer@VA team since August of 2014, providing strategic guidance for career development best practices and by supporting the development and sustainment of programs enhancing the career development experience for current and prospective employees.
The June webinar provides an overview of the MyCareer@VA tools. These include:
- VA career mapping tool, which helps you plan your future and takes a look at where you currently stand and where you want to go
- Federal resume builder to assist you with this “different from civilian” resume required for most federal job applications
- VA job finder to look at current positions available within the VA system
- VA FIT tool that asks questions to help you match your work interests with VA job
- Career guides to learn about the specifics of VA jobs
- Interview stream where you can practice interviewing at any time
To hear details about each of these resources, listen to the full webinar recording HERE.